Mom's Super Easy Chili

Homemade Chili is probably the 1st thing Mom taught me to cook. Most of her recipes were quite simple...When you are feeding 11 people every day, you have to be able to stretch those dollars and also save time. I made this meal for my family for a little over six dollars.  I know there are tons of Chili recipes out there with all kinds of different ingredients and types of meat, but this recipe has always been a real crowd pleaser, and I always get compliments!



I also made the yummy beer bread which set me back a little over a dollar!  I will be posting this recipe up too!



Chili:
Prep time - 5 minutes
Cook time - 30 to 45 minutes
1 Lb. Ground Beef
2 - 15 oz. cans tomatoes
(I use the diced, but you can get the whole tomatoes and put them in the blender or use a stick blender right in the can)
2 - 15 oz. cans of chili beans
1 small onion
Cumin, Cilantro, Salt, Pepper

Brown your ground beef.  Chop the onion, add to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.  Add the tomatoes and beans.  Season to your taste with Cumin, Cilantro, Salt & Pepper (probably about a teaspoon of each to start).  Simmer for about 30 Minutes.

I bought the ground beef in the 3 lb. chub and cut it into 3/1 lb. hunks and froze the other 2, so 2.66 for the meat.  My local market had all of their canned goods on sale for .68, so I stocked up on those and used 4 of them - 2.72.  I got 6 onions for .99 on the produce managers special rack and used 1 - .17.  The bread cost me about 1.29 and we used 1/2 of it, so - .65.  Total for meal - $6.20 and I have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment