Build a better mouse trap


Well, folks, it's that time of year again. It getting cold outside and the little mice are looking for refuge. Unfortunately, that means you may be hearing unwanted pitter-patter of tiny feet in your house.

Tri Cities Penny Pincher Build a Better Mouse TrapGranted, mouse catching is not rocket science, but it can be tricky. If I thought in any way I could humanely capture a mouse and let it go without it turning around and coming right back in my house, I certainly would. I frequently catch spiders, grasshoppers, etc., that hitch-hike in on my family’s pants legs and let them live, but the mice like food & warmth, which I am not willing to provide. It's not that I don't like them; it's just that they make a mess and eat my food which I then have to throw away.

As a rule, mice like to come in around the pipes under the sinks. This is why I keep a mouse trap set at all times under all of my sinks. I like to get them before they can get any farther.


Last fall I opened my bottom drawer in the kitchen to get out a towel. To my horror and disgust, I found the first evidence of Houdini. Not a huge deal. I went about investigating and cleaning up the mess. I then set several traps all around. In addition to traps under the sinks, I put them near the front & back doors and along the baseboard near the refrigerator & stove. A total of 8 mouse traps! I felt confident that by morning I would have a corpse.

 The next morning came and no corpse! In fact, after I put my glasses on so I could see, I went around to all the traps and noticed that the bait was missing from every single one! Well, I had used peanut butter as bait just as I always had, but I could not believe he got ALL of it without setting off a single trap!


This meant war! I went to the computer and read every article I could find on catching mice. I finally found the one tip that made perfect sense. Unfortunately, I do not remember which website I found it on. Thank you to the person who suggested the following: Hot glue a piece of sweet cereal to the bait holder. Voila! I have never had a mouse steal my bait again!

Rest in peace Houdini.

No comments:

Post a Comment